Mt. Vernon girls win swim sectional; head to state | Sports & Recreation
The Mt. Vernon girls swimming and diving team survived a record-setting effort by Castle and held off the Lady Knights to win the IHSAA Swimming Sectional Saturday.
The final point tally was 508-489. Mt. Vernon qualified for state in all but one event. Now, it's off to this week's state finals in Indianapolis.
The top 16 in each swimming event during Friday’s prelims will return for competition on Saturday with the top eight individuals vying for state championship honors. Those finishing nine through 16 on Friday will make up the competitors in the consolation heats.
All diving will take place on Saturday with the top 20 of 32 competitors advancing from the prelims to the semis after five dives each. After three dives each in the semis, the top 16 will advance to the final round for another three dives each.
For more information, including heat sheets click here.
Top Posey County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Run for the Wall: Riders to pass through area next week
- Gibson County man shoots, kills pit bull in front of multiple children
- Three SW Indiana bridges being named after local troopers who died in the line of duty
- Additional charges filed against Gibson Co. murder suspect
- Patoka River levels continue to drop