Vectren launches Indiana home insulation, duct sealing rebates | News
Posey County homeowners and customers of Vectren Energy Delivery of Indiana (Vectren) looking to make their homes more energy efficient through attic and/or wall insulation or duct sealing services can now do so with the help of a rebate from Vectren. This month, the utility launched the newest addition to its energy efficiency programs, billed as Conservation Connection, in which gas customers can receive rebates to cover up to 40 percent of the costs, with a maximum amount of up to $450 for attic or wall insulation, and up to $400 of the total cost for duct sealing.
To qualify, the homeowner must:
- be a Vectren natural gas customer in Indiana;
- own the home on which the insulation and/or sealing services are being performed; and
- have the insulation and/or sealing services completed by one of the program-approved contractors, which can be found at Vectren.com/conservation or by calling call 1-866-240-8476. Please note: This list of contractors continues to grow as more complete the steps needed to be program-approved.
“According the Department of Energy, only 20 percent of homes built before 1980 are considered well-insulated. As such, we know there are thousands of homes in Indiana that are in desperate need of energy efficiency upgrades,” said Doug Petitt, Vectren’s vice president of marketing and conservation. “These types of weatherization services will reduce energy bills by up to 25 percent in addition to increasing the home’s value.”
Insulation or sealing services performed on or before Dec. 31, 2012, do not qualify.
Free home weatherization services are available to income-qualified homeowners whose household income is up to 200 percent of federal poverty guidelines. For a family of four, this percentage equates to a household income of about $46,000 or less. To apply or for more information, contact Energizing Indiana at 1-888-446-7750 or visit www.energizingindiana.com.
All customers regardless of household income can receive a free on-site home energy assessment through Energizing Indiana.
In addition to the rebates offered by Vectren, homeowners may also benefit from federal tax credits recently reinstated with the American Tax Relief Act of 2012. The tax credit is capped at $500 and includes such items as insulation, high efficiency space and water heating equipment and air conditioning, amongst other equipment, installed during 2012 and 2013. Indiana homeowners may also benefit from a deduction up to $1,000 for qualified insulation projects. Visit www.energytaxincentives.org or consult with a tax professional for complete details.
Top Posey County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Illinois House approves gun plan opposed by governor
- State treasurer asks Illinois residents for help finding owners of forgotten military medals
- Wabash County unemployment down significantly from '12; mixed results elsewhere
- Lt. Gov. encourages new 6th-12th grade math courses
- Rainbows in southern Illinois