What stinks in Posey County? | Home & Garden
Posey County residents have noticed stange odors in the area. They say it smells like everything from skunks to rotting garbage.
Posey County EMA Director, Larry Robb, says he has a good idea where those smells are coming from.
He says because the area is such a large agriculture community, farmers planted fields full of radishes in the fall.
But those radishes, were never harvested. Robb says the crops are used as ground cover to protect the land and to rebuild the soil for the next planting season.
With the rollercoaster temperatures the county has seen this winter, the leafy green tops of the radishes are rotting. Robb says the rotted plants smell similar to cabbage.
The smells might be more fragrant during the warmer, sunny days, but soon the fields will be plowed and ready for another growing season.
Top Posey County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Child molestation suspect arrested in Arkansas; returned to Gibson County
- "She kept my son away from me for 13 years..."
- Name of mother shot and killed in Princeton released
- Jason Perry faces murder charge in Princeton restaurant parking lot shooting
- Friend of Princeton shooting victim speaks to 14 News